Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Marlboro, red

I bought my first pack of cigarettes yesterday.

Breakneck speed, low visibility. We turned left from a right hand lane, at the same time that a policeman was going straight from a left hand lane. We almost killed him.

Naturally, he pulled us over (us somehow more at fault than he).

He was shaking when he asked for the license of the vehicle's driver. The driver and the spanish speaker went to witness to him while the PR team went to call home.

We passed by the team in action, witnessing to the cop, and mentioned we were going to get a phone card to call the owner of the car. The cop was smiling by now and playfully told us to bring him a pack of cigarettes while we were at it.

I laughed at his joke.

Not the driver. He looked stern and held my eyes and said, "No, GET HIM A PACK OF CIGARETTES."

I said, "Ohhh."

And so it was that for the first time in my life at the ripe age of 23, I marched up to the counter at the convenience store down the street, leaned over and conspiratorially whispered into the coy lady's ear, "And a pack of cigarettes to go with that, please. Marlboro. Red."

By the time we got back, the Lord and the keys had done the miracle once again and we were free. The reds were the cherry on top of the deal, handed over because they were of no use to us anyway. One less "things I won't do."

Smile, wave, and drive your best as you drive away.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hah hahahahahaha! I don't think I ever bought any cigarettes. Other stuff, but not tobacco. But my Daddy used to give me his complimentary little pack of 4 or 5 cigarettes that he got from the airlines (they did that!!!) when he'd fly someplace. I had a whole drawer full! I finally decided to try to smoke some at about age 13 or 14, made me really nauseous of course. Later when my father in law wanted me to smoke I had the same experience, and decided "forget it". Love you tons! Mom

 
At 7:04 pm, Blogger Spartico said...

Statistics show you can now get cancer from buying cigarettes. Don't you know better?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home